Three Newhouse students look at an open laptop computer.

316 N3 • 443.4722 • • Hours: M-F 8:30a-5p • Summer: M-F 8a-4:30p

Undergraduate Advising

View information on the Undergraduate Advising Office's remote advising>>

Academic advising at the Newhouse School includes a network of services to support your studies. Faculty advisers, peer advisers, academic advisers, the assistant dean for student affairs and the Career Development Center all play key roles in helping students discover and pursue a wide range of majors, minors and academic opportunities offered at Syracuse University.

Your academic adviser

Appointments: Students should schedule an appointment with their academic adviser through Orange Success.

Academic Adviser assigned by student last name.

Alison Fredericks
Make an appointment with Alison>>

Richard Mendez
Make an appointment with Rich>>

Brad Stalter
Make an appointment with Brad>>

Kristin Cutler
Make an appointment with Kristin>>

Director of Advising
Suzanne Maguire

Assistant Dean of Student Services
Karen McGee

Your class year

The most accurate way to gauge your year is by chronology and when you plan to graduate. For example, if you plan to graduate in May 2021, you have four semesters left and would chronologically be a junior, with two full years left at Newhouse (even if you have earned additional credits). Please refer to your linked year to see an advising “to do list.”

Completed credits (including AP, transfer, IB credit) to determine standing:

Types of advisers

Academic advisers are experts on degree requirements. They can answer questions about school and university procedures and rules as well as processes such as registering for classes, getting credit for internships and changing your faculty adviser.

Faculty advisers can help you discover your interests, guide you in your course choices and answer questions about Newhouse majors. Faculty advising information is in the “My Advising” section of MySlice.

Peer advisers are Newhouse students who assist new students in navigating the MySlice system as well as adjusting to college in the first year.

Your academic record

A copy of your academic record is kept in the Undergraduate Advising Office at 316 Newhouse 3, as are academic forms and information. It’s the “go-to” office for forms and general questions about requirements and procedures. You are ultimately responsible for knowing and completing your degree requirements, which are outlined along with Newhouse rules and regulations in the Newhouse Guidebooks, updated annually.

University Rules and Regulations

In addition, we encourage all students to learn University rules and regulations, which are found in the Undergraduate Course Catalog.