International Applications

Several Newhouse students work at a control panel.

We welcome international students to come study at the Newhouse School. This year, 25 percent of our graduate students came from countries outside the United States. Many of our international students arrive here with communications experience gained through classes or jobs in their home countries. At Newhouse, you'll learn the American approach to your chosen profession. Our international student policies are clearly outlined so you will fully understand what to expect and how to succeed while you are here.

Post-secondary education requirements

An applicant to a graduate program at Syracuse University must provide official documentation of having earned at least a U.S. bachelor's degree or its equivalent from another country before enrolling. Some programs require a master's degree, which must be officially documented before enrollment as well. International applicants must have graduated from colleges or universities that are recognized by the national educational authorities of their home countries.

Find specific guidelines for equivalents to the U.S. bachelor's degree on the Syracuse University International Students page. 

English language score requirement

Applicants from countries other than Canada, Australia, Jamaica, New Zealand, Trinidad and Tobago and the United Kingdom must submit a score from an approved English language test. Applicants who have studied for at least one year in a higher education institution in one of those countries or the United States are exempt from this requirement.

Most students take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). A minimum score of 100 (iBT) is required for admission; the average TOEFL score for admitted international students is 106 (iBT). We also accept scores from the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) in place of the TOEFL, with a required minimum score of 7.0. Because our graduate programs require so much writing—much of it under deadline pressure—we have found that students who cannot meet these minimum requirements are not able to successfully complete graduate studies at the Newhouse School. If you do not meet minimum required scores, we recommend that you not apply for admission.

Our institution code is 2823. We do not use department codes. Scores must be officially reported to Syracuse University by the application deadline.

If you would like to gain additional English language skills prior to enrolling in a program at Newhouse, Syracuse University's English Language Institute can help. The institute specializes in helping international students improve their written and spoken English language skills in order to be successful in U.S. graduate classes. Six-week and full semester programs are offered; they cannot be completed concurrently with a Newhouse graduate program. 


Syracuse University requires admitted international students to provide proof of sufficient financial support to cover the costs of their program of study. Sufficient funding for at least the first year of graduate study, less any scholarship support, is required for authorization of a student visa. The total amounts necessary are listed on the Graduate School site. Additional information about these requirements is available in the online application.You can also view estimated costs of attendance on our Tuition and Fees page

Student visas will not be issued until financial documentation has been received and reviewed, so please provide the requested support documentation when you file your application for admission. This will not hurt your chances of receiving merit-based financial aid. Please note that the majority of our aid awards offer only partial funding.

Practical training

As an international student, you may take a non-paid internship (either for credit or simply for the experience) once you are enrolled in a Newhouse program. Paid internships are not permitted until you have been a U.S. resident for at least nine months. After completion of your degree, you may apply for continued practical training in the United States for one year past your degree completion date. Contact Syracuse University's Slutzker Center for International Services for more information. 

back to top